Thursday, March 22, 2007

"Local" Color: The League of Gentlemen

One of the delights of my time in London has been the opportunity to discover British television.

True, I have not loved all of it. I watched one season (series) of Blake's 7 and did not find enough of interest to keep me watching. Same for Red Dwarf, the first science fiction I have ever seen with a laugh track, though I may return for more at some point. Nor do I think I will ever become obsessed with the good Doctor Who.

But I have enjoyed the first two series of Little Britain very much, and Life on Mars, now only three episodes from the end, has absolutely captivated me (as I have written about on this blog here and here and here).

And then there's The League of Gentlemen. This BBC sketch comedy show, created and performed by League members Jeremy Dyson, Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith, set in the North, in the imaginary (let us hope) town of Royston Vasey, is one of the most brilliantly grotesque works I have ever encountered (and I know grotesque!). Comedy well on its way to becoming horror, League is brilliantly sick. Well on my way to becoming a "local," I can't wait to see more.

No comments: