Tuesday, September 16, 2008
TV v the Movies
In an article several years back, Entertainment Weekly offered a variety of reasons "Why TV is Better Than the Movies." According to my notes, these were key to their argument:
1. Women thrive on TV
2. We care more about TV characters.
3. TV does better with drama.
4. In TV, the writer rules.
5. TV is more fun to talk about.
6. TV deals with mature themes more maturely.
7. TV is more convenient.
8. TV does better with less money.
9. On TV, you can change the channel.
Now James Wolcott in Vanity Fair weighs in and also comes down on the side of the small screen. As does Devin Gordon in Newsweek.