Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Man on the Street"

I have now seen the purported "game-changing" episode of Dollhouse, written but not directed by Joss Whedon, and I would agree with Scott Tobias' excellent piece on Onion TV Club that it was superb television that certainly left us thinking differently about almost everything. I may yet have to take back what I said here.

This was the first episode in which Whedonian wit was prominently featured (my favorite: Patton Oswalt's Bill Gatesey character talking about a judge who will "throw the Kindle" at Paul for his intrusion. It would, I suspect, have been a much better episode if Whedon had directed too (David Straiton, a veteran of Eureka, My Own Worst Enemy, Life, Dresden Files, was more than adequate, but Whedon is a tremendously inventive TV director and would almost certainly have given it an added dimension.)

On Entertainment Weekly online, Ken Tucker observes:

So it turns out, Joss Whedon is operating at a different speed than most current makers and consumers of TV. At a time when everyone wants to make snap judgments of new shows, and when television content creators feel pressure to make their concepts immediately understandable/irresistible, Whedon chose to lull us into thinking Dollhouse was going to remain a series about Eliza Dushku looking as though someone had hit her over the head with a shovel every week whenever she wasn't dolled up like a boy-toy having ferocious sex with a "client."


Whedon has done this before, of course. Season Five of Buffy had many, including me, perturbed by the introduction of a little sister for the Slayer, but then, after getting her ass kicked by Glory, we learned, in "No Place Like Home" (5.5), as we were told by a monk dying in Buffy's arms, that Dawn was the Key, and we gasped.

1 comment:

Roger O Thornhill said...

I watched the first halfhour of Episode 1 and have been stockpiling it on my DVR ever since. You're making me glad that I'm going to eventually be viewing it in a lump.

PS: David, this is Marc. R O T is my Google/Blogger identity.